A HISTORY OF EXCELLENCE
Ebenezer Bible College and Seminary is the first and largest school of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Churches of the Philippines (CAMACOP), and one of the oldest and finest co-educational schools in the country.
EBCS started as two Christian day schools known as Ebenezer School for Girls and Ebenezer School for Boys, the first of which was established in 1903 by Rev. and Mrs. David O. Lund, and the second in 1920 by Rev. John A. McMillan.
In 1925, Rev. Robert A. Jaffray, head of the C&MA South China field, travelled to the Philippines to see the viability of the C&MA work in the Philippines. Among others, he recommended the establishment of a Bible school to train national pastors in order to enlarge the gospel work in the C&MA area of responsibility in the south-western part of Mindanao.
The first classes for Christian workers’ training began in 1926 with 13 students. The task of leading and organizing a training school for Filipino pastors and deaconesses was assigned to Rev. Joseph D. Williams which was followed through by Rev. McMillan.
On July 2, 1928, the two Ebenezer schools merged to become Ebenezer Bible Institute with Rev. George D. Strohm serving as its first principal. In 1933 the three-year curriculum was upgraded to a four-year program to raise the quality of education and training.
Due to the outbreak of World War II, classes were suspended, but resumed in 1946 by the Rev. H.A. Jackson and Rev. Dutton. Undaunted by the difficulties of post-war life, 16 students who enrolled in 1939 graduated in 1946.
In 1953, to raise the standards higher, only high school graduates were admitted to the Theology and Christian Education diploma programs. In 1959, the standard four-year course was redesigned for students to earn degrees in Theology and in Christian Education.
On the recommendation of the Mission Conference, the National Church Conference, and the Survey Team of the Philippine Theological Schools, the Ebenezer School Board changed the name of the school to Ebenezer Bible College in 1962.
Ten years later, in 1972, the four-year Bachelor of Ministerial Studies (B.M.S.) and the Bachelor of Religious Education (B.R.E.) degrees began to be offered to high school graduates. The diploma courses were phased out. Then in 1981, B.M.S. was upgraded to Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.). Both the B.Th. and B.R.E. programs are recognized and accredited by the Philippine Association of Bible and Theological Schools (PABATS).
In 1991 the Certificate of Church Music program was offered for those who wish to serve as music ministers.
In 1983 EBC started its seminary department or graduate school. In 1993 it opened its basic education department, the Ebenezer School.
For 31 years, Ebenezer was located in Tetuan, east of the business section of Zamboanga City. But in 1957 the school was transferred to Upper Calarian, its present site, west of the city proper. The 13-hectare campus is bounded on the north side by the national highway and on the south side by the scenic Sulu Sea.
In 1952, the leadership and management of the school were handed over to Filipinos with Rev. Vicente R. Pada as the first Filipino Principal who served for 20 years. The position of Principal gradually evolved to Director and to President. After Rev. Pada, Dr. Rodrigo D. Tano took over the leadership, from 1979 to 1984. He was succeeded by Dr. Adynna Y. Lim who served for nine years. In 1993 Dr. Joel I. Ortiz led and managed the school until 1998. He was succeeded by Dr. Benjamin de Jesus who served until 2005. Dr. Joel A. Caperig became its President in 2005 and served until 2012. Rev. Roland Don S. Dulaca is presently the President.
In 2002 EBCS was granted recognition by the Philippine Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
EBCS has produced over a thousand graduates serving God and people in different fields around the globe. EBCS has supplied churches and organizations here and abroad with competent, confident and credible servant leaders. They serve as pastors, cross-cultural workers, Bible school instructors, evangelists, church planters, basic education teachers, youth leaders, music ministers, and denominational leaders. All of the CAMACOP presidents are alumni of EBCS.
EBCS remains committed to educating young men and women to become catalysts of change in church and society, all for the glory of God.